26.6.17

UNDERSTANDING MYTHS BUT NOT BELIEVING THEM

I was never a religious person or even a religious child. And I always found it difficult to believe in religion because I think and because I had freedom to do so. It was a little difficult for me to make up my mind about believing or disbelieving god. It still feels like just a grammatical mistake if I don’t use capital ‘G’ while spelling god. However; I no longer care because I have made up my mind. I am an agnostic atheist. And I still believe in good and evil but no longer in god and devil.

Firstly it is very difficult to accept religious dictates because they mostly do not allow reasoning. I have exposure to Hinduism and follow it only when it stands well along with logical reasoning. I have some idea about Buddhism and Jainism and am not much aware about other religions. But I am sure they have good preachings too. Any rational human can appreciate and uphold ideas that cater to peace, strength, morality and compassion. But there is a vast difference in accepting these ideas on merit as opposed to accepting them as doctrines. Because ideas, when not elevated to any higher status, can be challenged and evolve faster with time and circumstances. Make them a doctrine and they don’t get challenged in the first place. Any concept is susceptible to misinterpretation irrespective of its origin or position. But it is more vulnerable, and in turn correctable, when subjected to continuous scrutiny.


As far good teachings in a religion are concerned, there is no harm in following or respecting them. But follow them after retrospection and not blindly. Good things exist in any form or format of expressions. Many good lessons can be learnt from fairy tales. But it doesn’t compel one to believe they are real. They are only making a logical point. One can understand or decipher logic behind myths. But it is presumptuous to believe in them only because they exist. I think same applies to religion, science or any philosophy. Thinking and creativity ought to be treated judiciously irrespective of the way they are propagated.
Trying to join pieces to make a structure sometimes distorts reality

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.